If you hold a passport from a non-European country, you will probably need a visa.

The Invitation Letter from the ESRF indicating your scheduled beam time may not be sufficient to obtain a French visa. Contact the French Embassy or French Consulate for information on documents to provide (the ESRF cannot give any information on visa matters).

Check if you need a visa

You can check if you need a visa on the French-Visas website. Depending on your situation (nationality, country of origin, etc.), their "Visa Wizard online form" will let you know if you need:

  • To request a Visa
  • To present any documents upon arrival in France

Apply for a visa

Please apply for a visa at least 1 month before your expected departure for Grenoble.

  • Our Personnel Department can supply you with a special form called 'Convention d'Accueil d'un Chercheur ou d'un Enseignant-Chercheur Etranger'. The document will be signed electronically and we will be able to email you the document directly for you to print if needed.

Note: The 'Convention d'Accueil' is issued by the ESRF only for the period covering the experiment at the ESRF plus 3 additional days (i.e. the maximum number of days covered by the ESRF for  reimbursed users).

Request a 'Convention d'Accueil'

Please e-mail the following information to the User Office , CRG Office or BDO Office after your experiment's A form has been submitted by the Main Proposer:

  • First name
  • Surname
  • Gender (M - F)
  • Nationality
  • Date of birth
  • Place of birth
  • Private address
  • Employer's name
  • Dates of your stay
  • Address during your stay in France
  • Your experiment and beamline number

And also:

  • Copy of your diploma (minimum level required for PhD Student: Master 's degree, translated into English)
  • Copy of your passport (translated into English if not already).